Racing for 75 minutes over the 1 km technical course with a downhill corkscrew turn, the men’s race suffered a large crash about halfway through the race that caused a restart, but the stage did little to change the overall classification.
A late-race breakaway provided plenty of excitement as three riders dangled just off the front of the field with less than 10 laps to go. Perrin joined Cal Giant Berry/Specialized’s Nate Wilson and Hagens Berman’s Jeff Wingfield in a move that gained just enough traction to keep the field at bay.
The trio had a slim margin of 10 seconds with three to go and started the last lap with just a seven-second sliver of a gap. By the time the breakaway reached the finish line it was indistinguishable from the field but still in front. Perrin came through the last corner second wheel but was able to jump ahead of Wilson for the win. Wingfield held on for third. Overall race leader Nate English finished safely in the bunch and will start Sunday’s finale stage in yellow.
The women’s race turned into a battle of attrition as Giant’s Kelli Emmett, who started the stage third overall, jumped away several times but was quickly reeled in by overall leader Rhae Shaw’s ExergyTWENTY12 teammate Alison Tetrick. The scenario played out over and over again until the group settled in for the bunch sprint.
Lehmann took an early lead down the straightaway and just managed to hold off Emmett and Tetrick, who took second and third, respectively. Shaw finished fourth on the stage and held onto her overall race lead.
The 2012 Mt. Hood Cycling Classic concluded Sunday with the Three Summits Road Race, which started at Cooper Spur Resort and finished at the Cooper Spur Ski Area. The men raced 91 miles and tackled more than 10,000 feet of climbing through the Mt. Hood National Forest, while the women will faced 70 miles and more than 7,000 feet of climbing.
Winners of the Mt Hood Cycling Classic are as follows:
STAGE 3 RESULTS
1. Jeff Perin (Juwi Solar) 1:02:04
2. Nate Wilson (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) s.t.
3. Chris Wingfield (Hagens Berman) s.t.
4. Sam Bassetti (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) s.t
5. Stephen Leece (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) s.t.
6. Ricky Escuela (Full Circle Cycling) s.t.
7. Michael Larson (Full Circle Cycling) s.t.
8. Griffin Easter (Ritte U23 Development Team) s.t.
9. Andy Goessling (Team Mike’s Bikes) s.t.
10. Robin Eckmann (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) s.t.
1. Jenny Lehmann (Trek/Red Truck) 45:40
2. Kelli Emmett (Giant) s.t.
3. Alison Tetrick (ExergyTWENTY12) s.t.
4. Rhae Shaw (ExergyTWENTY12) s.t.
5. Hilary Billington (Veloce/Smith & Nephew) s.t.
6. Ivy Audrian (Keller Rohrback) s.t.
7. Jennifer Burtner (Olympia Orthopedic Associates) s.t.
8. Zayda Maguire (Kenda/Geargrinder) s.t.
9. Nicole Justice (Stevens Bikes/Pactimo)
10. Lindsay Fox (Athletes Lounge) s.t.
1. Nate English (Kenda/5-Hour Energy) 5:13:46
2. Nate Wilson (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) @ :13
3. Sam Johnson (Team Exergy) @ :29
4. Evan Huffman (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) @ :34
5. Stephen Leece (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) @ :41
6. Julian Kyer (Juwi Solar) @ :59
7. Justin Rossi (Marc Pro-Strava) @ 1:06
8. Coulton Hartrich (Athletix Cycling/Globalbike) @ 1:15
9. Jonathan Teeter (Marc Pro-Strava) @ 1:17
10. Robin Eckmann (Cal Giant Berry/Specialized) @ 1:21
1. Rhae Shaw (ExergyTWENTY12) 4:09:31
2. Alison Tetrick (ExergyTWENTY12) @ 1:35
3. Kelli Emmett (Giant Factory Team) @ 7:49
4. Rosalyn Zylkowski (Keller Rohrback) @ 13:08
5. Kristina Lackner (Hutch’s) @ 13:44
6. Jenny Lehmann (Trek/Red Truck) @ 13:56
7. Nicole Justice (Stevens Bikes/Pactimo) @ 14:31
8. Jennifer Burtner (Olympia Orthopedic Associates) @ 14:44
9. Lisa Turnbull (REP) @ 15:28
10. Lindsay Fox (Athletes Lounge) @ 16:28
Final Race Day Overall Winners: Nate Wilson wins Mt Hood Cycling Classic overall Stephen Leece second. Nate English (Kenda/5-Hr Energy) third
Check the photo album out here http://cyclingaction.exposuremanager.com/g/2012_mt_hood_cycling_classic